Tuesday, January 27, 2009

GQ: Best New Designers In America



Benjamin Bixby
Founded: 2008, New York and Atlanta
Designer: André Benjamin (a.k.a. André 3000), 33
The philosophy: “During OutKast’s Stankonia period, I looked like I was from Mars. The music was otherworldly, and my character reflected that. I wanted to put that spirit into classic clothes, but ones that people could actually wear.”
The look: “I think the cut of Benjamin Bixby comes from comic-book characters, which I’ve been drawing since I was a kid. In comic books, the waist is always pinched, but the legs are full-cut, kind of like the Cracker Jack man.”
The influence: “In high school, in Atlanta, when Grand Puba told us to wear Girbaud jeans, I wore Girbaud jeans. Then you had this prep movement happening: Ralph Lauren, Eddie Bauer, Bass, Sebago, and Timberland. So imagine me walking through [local housing project] Bowen Homes in the morning to catch the bus, but I’m dressed like a prep. As you get older, you go back to those things.”
Although Three Stacks is struggling to bring in stacks in stores, We commend GQ magazine for taking notice. Naming Andre 3000 as one of best new designers in America is definitely a testament that, hard work does pay off. Andre took time off from music to really hone down on his design skills and as the saying goes "you reap what you sew." Check out the complete list of best new designers here..

0 comments: