Thursday, January 15, 2009

C.O.C.A Interview: DeVon Drakkar Lane Simmons


As we embrace chance in America with President "elect" Obama's upcoming inauguration, DeVon Drakkar Lane Simmons is looking break a glass ceiling of his own. DDLS is a fresh face in modeling game following in the footsteps of Tyson Beckford, who cracked the ceiling for African American male models in the early 90s. We recently caught up with DDLS for a C.O.C.A
Interview and let just say can't nobody stop his shine!


We present MY NOIR IS BEAUTIFUL...





COCA Style:How did you start modeling?


DDLS-I started modeling my senior year in High school during football season. So one day I just finally made my decision and went with it. I went to the public library and started doing research and came across "Barbizon Modeling School & Agency" in Phoenix, AZ. So, I set up a meeting and got accepted to the school. My first day of modeling was Dec. 3rd, 2005; I celebrate every Dec. 3rd of each year. As, my senior year was going on, I got accepted to "The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising" in Los Angeles, CA to major in Fashion Design. I had my first ever photo shoot in Scottsdale, AZ The shoot was amazing, very commercial. Well, I moved to Los Angeles for school and took my portfolio with me. I went to Los Angeles with the drive and mindset to "model first, act second, then school for design." Either way my heart was / is in the fashion industry. I took every opportunity that came my way, no matter what it was, but I did make sure it was legit, worth my time and asked myself "will it benefit me in the long run?"; I went with my gut feeling and prayed about it too. I lived in Los Angeles for a whole year without a car but with a can do attitude. It was sometimes when I would be on the bus for 2 1/2hrs and I would have no money to get back home, or sometimes I would wake up really early to make a open call / audition . . . let's just say "if I had $1dollar for every "NO" that I heard, then I would really be a millionaire." As, I was growing up with older siblings, and getting talked about by fellow classmates when I was younger that allowed me to grow tough skin. So by hearing the word "NO" a lot did not discourage me, but made me want to push myself harder. I believe it was on a Tuesday, but I had a casting call for a reality TV show on VH1 for models and it was in the same building with a modeling agency in it at the time called "Beauty Model / BC4." After my audition I went down to the floor the agency was on and slid my head shot and resume under the door, because they was closed. Well, the next day I woke up on the wrong side of the bed upset and discouraged because I kept hearing No, after no, after no, and I started letting it get to me. The main reason was because I knew that some people who got the word "YES" before I did . . . I was point blank better then they was. So, I felt that I was not being productive or reaching my goals, so I was about to throw in the towel. Right, when I was talking to my friend at the time about it, I received a phone call and it was Jose(Casting Director) from Beauty Models telling me that he was interested in me. So, I set a time and date to go meet with him & Amy Weber who owned Beauty Models / BC4 at the time. Okay, so the usual happens when you meet with a agency or agent . . . they ask questions to get a feel of your personality, you take head & body shots, then the decisions are made. I got offered my first modeling contract. Well, time went on and things happened to where I had to move back home to Phoenix, AZ. Two weeks, before I finally moved I did my research to see if there was any good agencies in AZ, because I wanted to continue on with my dream and goals. So I sent in a few pictures which I felt would fit the best with FORD in Scottsdale, AZ. As, I was doing so, I prayed and asked GOD "If this was meant for me then. . . please let me get a call." Within a week I received a call from my soon to be agent Sheree . . . I've been modeling every since.

COCA Style:Who have you worked with?



DDLS-When I was unsigned, and grinding I had to get everything for myself! go see my old resume at:www.lacasting.com/devonsimmons
But as of now, since I've been signed:


- Carolina Herrera CH collection

- Ermenegildo Zegna

- Roberto Botticelli

- Reebok

- Dillards

- Harley Davidson

- 944 magazine

- Febreze Sports (Suppose to drop spring/summer of 2009)

- 3sixteen (got them on my own, by grinding in NYC and going to PROJECT NY and showing everyone my portfolio)
I stay on my grind, to continue to find new work and to make new contacts. I always try to find ways to keep working. I would like to say thank you to my family and friends who helped me with anything that has to do with my career.

COCA Style:It's well documented there is a lack of African Americans in the fashion industry, particularly modeling, what are some of the hurdles you face?


DDLS-Wow, to be honest were can I start . . . I've been facing hurdles since the day I decided to model. If it was from my football coach saying something, to people I've known too even now. No, matter where I go or what I do it's always a new hurdle to jump, just keep jumping and do not give up. Now, of course there is a lack of African Americans in the industry rather then a lack of Caucasians, which I hope will change soon for the positive to become equal or greater. That is why I am trying my hardiest to become the best, so I can open doors for models like me.

COCA Style:What is one of the biggest misconceptions about modeling?


DDLS-This industry is very tough to get into and even tougher to get started if you have to find your own way in. The hard part you always have to worry about someone trying to take your money. Everyone is not blessed to just walk in the mall or to a agency and just get signed right off the top, and that truly was not the case for me. Like, I tell myself in the mirror whenever I get upset "No one! can hold you down unless you let them, so strive to be the best and nothing less! when your time comes just be ready to shine." A lot of people do not know this but this is a VERY TOUGH INDUSTRY! mentally, physically, and emotionally! So you have to be ready, THIS JOB / INDUSTRY / DREAM is YEAR AROUND! Yes, most definitely there are positives to the industry too, but just know that it's not long term. You will need a back up plan and set goals for yourself all the time! Also, something I like to keep telling myself is " If it comes to easy then it will never last, but if it comes hard then it will last" So keep grinding and have confidence in yourself first! before you want someone to have confidence in you!

COCA Style:Are there any role models in the industry you admire?


DDLS-Yes, of course. No brainier it's Tyson Beckford! I look up to him, like basketball players look up to Michael Jordan! I am setting my goals high to become better than him, when people think of Tyson Beckford, I want them to think of DeVon Drakkar Lane Simmons. The reason why I choose Tyson, is because he has paved the way for African American male models, by opening doors for us to come through and get the shine that we can or even to be taken serious as becoming or being a model. So thank you Tyson!

COCA Style:Who do you want to work with one day (designer, photographer, etc.)


DDLS-I truly would like to work with:

-Tyson Beckford

- Tyra Banks

- Naomi Campbell

- Nigel Barker

- Bruce Weber

- Steven Meisel

- Prada

- Burberry

- Calvin Klein

- Ralph Lauren (Purple & Black Label)

- Tom Ford

- Gucci

- Vogue

- Hermes Paris and of course my line whenever I come out with it. . .

COCA Style:If you weren't a model, what would have been your career choice?


DDLS-No brainier I would still be playing football! Also becoming a chef, because I love to cook! But overall no matter what, I would be a entrepreneur . . . I have to be in charge!




















0 comments: