Monday, August 18, 2008

CHI STATE OF STYLE-DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT


COCA STYLE presents "Chi State of Style". This will be a weekly post that will feature designers, retail stores, local celebrity and stylish people from the Chi. We are pleased to present to you our first designer spotlight: CLEONS CLOTHING COMPANY. We sat down with the founder of CLEONS, Chad Leon for an interview on the story behind his company. Here's what he had to say;


CLEONS Interview

Can you tell us how CLEONS was established?

- CLEONS was established back in late 2004. I was planning on doing a fashion show with 3 other designers, and we needed press kits to get sponsorship. I didn’t have one, so I had to start taking photos of my clothes on models. That was my first collection as "CLEONS" and I have been going at it since.

What’s your design background like?

- I love Fashion Shows! I have done 14 Fashion Shows so far. I worked with dance crews, local singers, bleu Magazine from New York, NEWCITY Newsletter in Chicago, OZONE Magazine in Atlanta/Florida & supplied a top for a dancer for the Oprah Show when Janet Jackson was a guest back in 2006.

What is your design process?

- Surprisingly I really can’t draw that good, so I don’t sketch a thing. I have a vision of what I want a certain garment to look like and I go from there. SOMETIMES it’s really easy and the visual pops up right away.

What influences your design style?

- Music is one influence, I love music. Janet Jackson, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland. I love how their music is very painted and layered in detail. I use that same technique when I sew.

What about designers, are there any particular ones that have had an influence on your design style?

- I love Dolce&Gabbana. I LOVE there visual and their presentation in their work and ads. I think it’s immaculate!

Tell us about life as a Chicago designer?

- I just love what I do. It’s a PASSION....I believe it shows in my work.

What do you think is the biggest challenge facing designers coming out of Chicago?

- You live in Chicago! (LAUGHS)

What do you think needs to change in Chicago’s fashion scene?

- Chicago has A LOT of potential. One thing that needs to change is people need to learn to step out of the box and be different. Don’t do what is "in" at the current time. Chicago is pretty uniformed in it’s style. If you take a look at some Chicagoans a lot of them dress the same to try to fit in. A lot of beautiful people live here, just a bit more diversity & challenge in it’s style.

There is a stereotype out there that most male designers are gay how do you feel about that?

- Some are, and some are not. If the clothes are hot who cares what sexual orientation the individual is. I know a lot of straight male designers who have there own clothing lines here in Chicago.

One issue that we want to focus on at COAT OF CHICAGO ARMS is Materialism. We live in society that values material objects more than human life. As a designer, how do maintain that balance of growing your business while preserving social integrity?

- As a designer I totally express myself through my garments. You can express your positive views and positive opinions of social conscious issues on a T-Shirt that has a simple saying on it, and it can make a BIG impact in a positive way.

What’s next for CLEONS?

- A LOT OF THINGS!!!! (SMILE) I have 2 big events coming up. The first event is my Model Search Auditions which will take place in December, then my CLEONS Spring/Summer 2009 Fashion Show in April 2009. The Model Search is for this Fashion Show. If you want additional details just go to

www.myspace.com/cleons or www.modelmayhem.com/cleons. I’m VERY EXCITED about these two events. It’s going to be SOOOOO HOT!

How can anyone get their hands on CLEONS clothing?

- I just recently had a Trunk Show, but if you want some pieces or get something custom made contact me here:

cleonsclothing@gmail.com

What final thing do you want people to know about CLEONS the brand?

- CLEONS possess an "east coast" vibe & appeal, full of Power & Dominance. Made for the young, the popular, the laidback & the high energy Man & Woman







0 comments: