Tuesday, August 26, 2008

CHI STATE OF STYLE: KUTS & KICKS BOUTIQUE

ANOTHER COCA INTERVIEW---

You might know him as JOSE, or you may know him as MELLO, some of you may not even know him at all. Never the less Chi-Town get familiar with the owner of BORN WITH SOUL Kuts & Kicks Boutique. This isn't your usual barber shop or sneaker shop, nor is Mello your usual business owner. If you are looking for creativity and innovation, then step into KUTS & KICKS BOUTIQUE. Just make sure you show love to the homie that's "BORN WITH SOUL" Mello. Here is what he had to say:


1. How would you define your personal style? One word - fresh.

2. Name some people who have had an influence on your style? I like to think of myself and my style as unique.

3. Name a song that captures your style? Superstar by Lupe Fiasco

4. Do you consider yourself a trendsetter? Most definitely.

5. Can you define cool and what makes someone cool? Cool is something that I like and may not necessarily be main stream. Someone who is cool is not afraid to go against the grain and be themselves.

6. What’s The most you’ve ever spent on clothing or shoes? $10,000 - seriously.

7. What is your favorite shoe of all time? Nike Footscape Woven

8. Who’s your Favorite Fashion Designer? Ralph Lauren

9. How do you stay in tune with the current trends? I don't

10. What is your Favorite Chicago clothing line or independent label? Exist, Enstrumental, Eschmitte

11. What’s your Favorite online clothing store? I don't usually shop online for clothes.

12. Tell us about your barbershop/sneaker store & how you came up with the concept to mesh the two? I decided to blend the two things that I am most passionate about - my job as a barber and being a sneaker collector. I have been a barber for over 15 years and have owned my own shop for 8, and once I started to collect sneakers - buying, selling, trading - I saw an opportunity to wed the two.

13. What clothing do you collect? Polo

14. What trend must die? Oversized clothing

15. How would you define Chicago ’s fashion style? Trendy at best.

16. Why do you think Chicago is never mentioned as a Fashion capital of the country? Because we are in the Midwest, Chicago's style is reflective of other larger cities but has not taken the next step to define a style that is its own.

17. Define the word Hipster & do you feel you’re a hipster? Hipster is a new term to me that is evolving all the time; I see it applied to different types of people. I wouldn't be so quick to attach a label to myself that has not yet been defined.

18. What’s your favorite food spot in the city? Anywhere there's good sushi.

19. What’s your favorite club in the city? Funky Buddha Lounge

20. Any last words for the readers? Be yourself. Dare to be original. Come check out my spot which is definitely a new look and experience for Chicago.

Hand built Chopper by MELLO for sale $18,000, for more info - 773 252 4743




















Born With Soul
Kuts & Kicks Boutique
2092 N. Milwaukee Ave.
773.252.4743

0 comments: